Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fall Gardening


Two weeks ago I planted seeds in my garden. This is after solarizing it for eight weeks and adding four cups of Worm Gold in each garden as instructed by my friend Jill Green of Sweet Life Gardens.

We planted spinach, beets, snap peas, carrots, radishes, green onions, lettuce, and napa cabbage. And now they are all sprouting! It is a beautiful sight. I have never planted from seed--last season all plantings were transplants. It is very exciting to plant a seed the size of a grain of sand and two weeks later see tiny green healthy leaves.

Yesterday afternoon my gardens received a little gift. Darcey brought her daughter, Emma, and Emma's friend Megan, to deliver squirmy little worms to the garden. Both 7-year olds happily tossed worms into my two vegetable gardens and Tammy's flower garden. Hopefully the worms are doing their thing making the soil and plants even healthier.

We'll see how our second season of gardening turns out.....

3 comments:

  1. Your garden looks lovely -- and from seed, nonetheless. (Can't believe Emma handled worms!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new theme song...altogether now...."Green acres is the place for Kim, farm livin' is the life she leads...." I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring! I have been toying with the idea of yanking the ever lovely oleandars out and planting a garden. Seeing what you've done, I'm a step closer.

    ReplyDelete