Monday, January 18, 2010

GOAT CHEESE AND CORN QUESADILLA - Cooking Light Magazine

When my friend, Ashley, told me about a quesadilla recipe with goat cheese and corn, I perked up. I love both ingredients (really, who doesn't?) and quickly hunted down the recipe in my stack of Cooking Light magazines.


Ashley added grilled chicken so I did the same. I made two, one with chicken and one without, splitting each with my sister, Tammy.


I grilled the chicken first (with a little blood orange infused olive oil from Queen Creek Olive Mill).


For the first round I grilled the tortillas in the same pan I grilled the chicken. The recipe said to use a non-stick pan but I wasn't inclined to dirty up another pan (I'm sure you would do the same). But it was a mess when I flipped over the quesadilla stuffed with chicken (no picture, too gruesome).

I liked the combination of all the ingredients plus the chicken, but preferred the quesadilla without the chicken. The mixture of the goat cheese, corn, and tomatillo sauce is so good it doesn't need to be dressed up.



So the following day I made two more quesadillas and served grilled chicken on the side. Perfect. Beans or rice would have been great, too.

Since we don't use a lot of tomatillo sauce I bought a small can of Herdez salsa verde sauce (about 50 cents) and added 1/2 teaspoon of sugar since tomatillo sauce is generally sweet. Really good.

Note: this quesadilla is five points on Weight Watchers.


Ingredients
1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear)
2/3 cup (5 ounces) goat cheese, softened
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 1 green onion)
10 tablespoon bottled salsa verde, divided
Cooking spray

Preparation
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. Place corn in a small bowl. Add goat cheese to corn; stir until well blended. Divide corn mixture evenly among 4 tortillas; spread to within 1/4 inch of sides. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1 tablespoon green onions. Drizzle each with 1 1/2 teaspoons salsa; top with remaining 4 tortillas.

2. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas in pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; recoat with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve with remaining 8 tablespoons salsa.

Nutritional Information
Calories:223
Fat:8.9g (sat 5.2g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:9.9g
Carbohydrate:28.6g
Fiber:3.2g
Cholesterol:16mg
Iron:1mg
Sodium:266mg
Calcium:75mg

2 comments:

  1. never had goat cheese, goin haf to chek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... just had my dinner but this post made me hungry again!

    ReplyDelete