Friday, October 28, 2011

THE GREATER JOURNEY - David McCullough



Loved this book. I am asking you, pretty please, go and buy/checkout/download this book.  Anything David McCullough writes works for me.  The Greater Journey Americans in Paris is his latest work that I had a hard time putting down.  We learn about the Americans who visited Paris for various lengths of time between 1830 and 1900 to perfect their craft.  The list of recognizable folks is eye-popping.  Name after name of people you will recognize makes it so much fun to read: Samuel Morse; Henry James; George Healy; James Fenimore Cooper; Nathaniel Hawthorne; Mary Cassat; Augustus Saint-Gaudens; Henry Wadswroth Longfellow; Oliver Wendell Holmes; Harriet Beecher Stowe; and John Singer Sargent.  The list goes on and on.

Getting to know about the relentless work of American minister to France, Elihu Washburne, was in itself worth a read.  Even the source notes are interesting.  I highlighted many quotes in this book but instead of noting them in this review (because I would end up quoting the entire book), I promise you will enjoy this book.  If you don't, you'll learn something anyway so it won't be a waste of  your time.

Five stars from me.  (Of course, I don't really review on a "star" basis, but if I did.....)

3 comments:

  1. Kim, this one sounds so good! Thanks for the heads up...it is now on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. McCullough is an amazing writer. Loved 1776 and John Adams. I'm listening to The Great Bridge now and it's wonderful.

    Found your blog because of Google Alerts for McCullough. I think I'll partake in some of your older posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love McCullough too. have to put it on my list. thanks

    ReplyDelete