Friday, March 6, 2009

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

The whole point of German Chocolate Cake is the frosting. The cake is just the excuse to slather on the gorgeous caramel-coconut-pecan frosting. It didn't really matter that the cake was from a box mix since the candy-like topping covered each layer. I know I had sworn-off box mixes but since I had two boxes that were about to expire I made them up into a three-layer cake (and one 8 x 8 cake).


The recipe for the frosting comes from the The Lion House Classics Cookbook
and it is very simple. I doubled the recipe to completely cover the cake and have extra for the smaller cake.


1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 beaten egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cup Baker's Angel Flake Coconut
1 cup chopped pecans (I toasted them first)


Add the milk, sugar, beaten egg yolks, butter, and vanilla to a sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes. Add the coconut and toasted pecans and stir. Let cool and then frost your cake.

2 comments:

  1. That was the best cake. I could have eat it all night long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only was it delicious, but it was a beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete