Saturday, June 27, 2009

JUNE READING LIST


Atlas Shrugged took up most of my reading time last month, but it was worth it. Whenever I read a serious, gotta-think-about- it-book, I like to follow it up with some lighthearted reading, which I did. Cold Comfort Farm was just the right pick. I loved the movie and for the first time in a long time the book and the movie matched (see review below).


Now I'm trudging through Richard and John: Kings at War, and after reading a good review in the Wall Street Journal I checked-out Willard Spiegelman's Seven Pleasures: Essays on Ordinary Happiness. Of course I must have something to listen to in the car, so I have Truman by David McCullough. I keep bypassing a few books in my stack, but they remain in my stack to be read nevertheless.

Next on the list is A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg. In the evening it is fun to peruse the great photos in My French Life by Vicki Archer.


Here is something fun that I found on A Garden Carried in the Pocket. It's called Book Seer and is designed to help you figure out what to read next--take a look, very clever. I entered Cold Comfort Farm and of the nine suggested books I had already read (and enjoyed) four.

Also, I am finally using the public library. I've now checked-out at least seven books. It's either the library or I have to buy another bookcase and I don't know quite where to put it (but I have one pictured in my mind with a nice matte black finish, secretly I'm thinking I could squeeze one in the family room). I don't know why I haven't used the library much before. When I was a kid our family went to the library at least a few times a month checking-out stacks of children's books.

Wouldn't it be lovely to be like the little school children having summer off to read away the days? That would be heaven. So, what are you reading this summer?

5 comments:

  1. Your nonfiction selections sound good. I love history, essays, biography, and memoirs, so I'm jotting down some titles!

    I had fun playing with Bookseer, and like you, found that I'd frequently read many of the books suggested, revealing patterns and cycles in content and authors.

    Public libraries have been a mainstay throughout my life, and my current one is my favorite. I pay my fines without a whimper for the privilege of checking out books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I add to Kim's post about Atlas Shrugged....She KNEW that he was nakedish the WHOLE time! Shamy, shamy, shamy.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and by the way I was just kidding. GOSH! You think I am actually that MEAN?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I am Jill Larrabee's Mother and I teach cooking classes in Huntington Beach. I love your web site it is done so beautifully. We are going to Lake Tahoe over the 4th of July and I am in charge of the menu. I think I will try the Peach Chicken, it sounds really good.

    Thanks for all your hard work.

    Victoria Cernok

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenclair:
    First, I've been meaning to tell you I love your name. It is so pretty!

    Ellie:
    I will talk to you later, Missy!

    Victoria:
    Thank you so much! You will love the peach chicken. Check back in a few days for a Swedish apple cake recipe I am posting--it is so easy, elegant, and delicious.

    By the way, you did a great job raising Jill!

    ReplyDelete