Thursday, April 21, 2011

OATMEAL CHERRY COOKIES

Wow, it's been ages since I've baked cookies.  But the dried cherries stashed in the pantry were calling my name saying, "Please do something yummy with me before I'm no good for anything!"

Doesn't it drive you crazy to toss things that are obviously well-past expiration date because they are out-of-sight-out-of-mind?

I thought the combination of oats and dried cherries would provide just the right zing. And then I noticed the bar of white chocolate also stashed in the pantry and thought that would add a bit of sophistication.

The recipe is the basic oatmeal cookie recipe from the back of the Quaker Oats box, adding whatever else suits your fancy to dress up these humble cookies.  Yes, the combination of oats, dried cherries, and white chocolate was super.


1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup dried cherries chopped
white chocolate bar chopped 
Heat oven to 350°F.
In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and dried fruit, chocolate, etc; mix well.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny because my husband did the same thing except he was craving bran muffins (not me)on Conference weekend and added those dried cherries that had been in the pantry for some time too.
    I like your recipe better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, love cherries...love oatmeal cookies...this is the recipe for me! xoxo Jill

    ReplyDelete