Monday, June 20, 2011

CINNAMON TOAST - Pioneer Woman Cooks

Have you been thinking you make cinnamon toast the correct way? Me, too.  But apparently we have been wrong.  I stumbled onto the perfect concoction: yummy, caramelized cinnamon sugar toast from Pioneer Woman Cooks.

Instead of the old-fashioned way--slathering butter on toasted bread and then quickly sprinkling cinnamon sugar atop while the bread was warm--there is a much better way.


I didn't make quite the same size batch that Ree Drummond (aka Pioneer Woman) made, so I will give you both her recipe and what I did.  The toast was even better paired with hot, milky peppermint tea.  I just came back from a week in DC and am now addicted to Taylors of Harrogate (By Appointment to HRH The Prince of Wales, don't you know) Organic Peppermint Tea (caffeine-free) which was offered in the club lounge of my hotel.  The warm, sweet, milky tea finished the night off perfectly and quelled any sweet tooth desires, which is always a problem whilst traveling.  But I digress.

A small amount of softened butter was ready and waiting so I added a bit of sugar, cinnamon, a drop or two of vanilla extract, and whipped it up.  Don't ask me about the correct cinnamon to sugar ratio--I just know it when I see it. I spread the buttery cinnamon sugar over freshly sliced sourdough bread, baked it in my toaster oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes, and then broiled the top until browned.  Oh my, yes.  My new favorite recipe for proper Cinnamon Toast. 

Ingredients

  • 16 slices Bread
  • 2 sticks Salted Butter, Softened
  • 1 cup Sugar 
  • 3 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract 
  • ⅛ teaspoons Ground Nutmeg

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Stir softened butter with a fork. Add in sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg, if using. Stir to completely combine.
Spread on slices of bread, completely covering the surface all the way to the edges.
Place toast on a cookie sheet. Place cookies sheet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil until golden brown and bubbling. Watch so it won’t burn!
Remove from oven and cut slices into halves diagonally.

No comments:

Post a Comment