Tuesday, June 12, 2012

ISTANBUL AND THE MOTHER COUNTRY

Image source here
Have you been to Istanbul? Well, soon I will be checking that off my bucket list as I will be heading
there later this month with my darling friend, Leslie.  One full week in Istanbul--no touring outside the city, just completely absorbing the sights, sounds, and smells of that fascinating and ancient place.



Following Istanbul, we will be returning to the Mother Country to roam around the English countryside, attend a week-long class at Oxford, and then spend a few days in London.  I shall take loads of pics and report back all the happenings.

Here are a few things we've already booked:
 
A private guide for the day to tour Istanbul

Class at Cooking Alaturka

Tickets for a Whirling Dervishes ceremony

A day on the Bosphorus

Visiting the Potteries in Stoke-on-Trent

Chatsworth House (finally!)

Petersham Nurseries in Richmond, Surrey (thank you, Jeanne!)

Lunch at the Wolseley, London


                                                            Dinner at Rules, London


And, of course, a return to all the faves: Liberty, Fortnum and Mason, Mulberry, Abbott and Holder, etc. My, oh my, I cannot wait.



10 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh! Oh! I am so excited for you Kim! Happy to see you are going to Petersham's. I met a blogging friend for breakfast at The Woseley last year and loved it. I have been to Rules...love the decor and the food is traditional English..you can't go wrong on that one.
    Abbott and Holder is new to me and I haven't been to
    Chatsworth House...two great leads!

    Can't wait to hear about Istanbul, I have always wanted to go. I always hear such great things...

    Best wishes Kim...happy planning!

    Jeanne xx

    PS..let me know if I can help with anything, happy to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie: It's what is getting me through the week!

    Jeanne: The sticky toffee pudding at Rules is a favorite of mine. Love that place. I'm excited about the Wolseley. Also, did you see that spread about Petersham in the Wall Street Journal's monthly magazine last week? I will try to email it to you.

    And thanks for your offer, you really are the nicest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wonderful plans! We like so many of the same places and I haven't got to Chatsworth yet, but hope to go this summer too. I haven't ever eaten dinner at Petersham, but even for tea and cake so much fun and I can heartily recommend the Wolseley too :) My daughter remembers how nice you are from your visit to Persephone btw (she's not working there now, but she's still in London, and we popped in the other week for Harriet - Lamb's Conduit area so fun). Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be looking forward to LOTS of photos. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pen and Pencil Girls: Miranda is your daughter?! She was so helpful in that pretty little bookshop. Please tell her hello for me.

    Mary: I figure I will get about a dozen blog posts out of this trip! And I have loaded up my Kindle with a lot of your recommendations, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Yes that's "my" Miranda! Will do! Looking forward to your photos and commentary too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas: Petersham seems to be quite the place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete