Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thai Cucumber Salad



Last weekend in my produce basket I found two hot house cucumbers. I normally don't buy cucumbers--I think they are just ok. Except that I do love the cold little cucumber salad that is served with chicken satay at Thai restaurants.
I combined two recipes that I found on the Internet and tweaked it a bit to make this salad. My sister, Tammy, really liked it as did friends Sean and Jana who are connoisseurs of Thai cuisine given that Sean served his church mission in Thailand and Jana served hers in the Philippines (which I know has nothing to do with Thai food but she does shop at Lee Lee Asian Market in Chandler).

Thai Cucumber Salad
T rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6-7 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 cucumber seeded and sliced
1 shallot, sliced
1 red spur chili (I used a red jalapeno)

Mix vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. After sugar has disolved, pour over cucumbers, shallots, and chili. Serve cold.

1 comment:

  1. Kim!

    Love the salad! You are full of adventure in the recipe department! Now I have one assignment for you next time you are in DC----search for and eat at a Filippino restaurant--it is sure to not disappoint! There is one here in AZ but I haven't had anyone who would go with me!

    Jana

    ReplyDelete