Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FRITTATA


I used to make frittatas all the time, I love them. It is a great meal to use up eggs and any bits of veggies you may have.

This recipe comes from How to Cook without a Book by Pam Anderson. Don't know why it's the only thing I've ever cooked from this book since I've had great success with this recipe. But now that I've got the book out I see several items I need to make.

Pam's cooking philosophy is to know several recipes by heart and that once you have the basics down it is easy to add a little of this and a little of that to quickly make something yummy. The basics of this recipe are easy to memorize.

2 tbsp. olive oil
Two or three filling ingredients (veggies, meats - use what you have on hand, see my notes below)
Salt and ground black pepper
1 medium garlic clove, minced
8 large eggs
3 tbsp. grated Parmesan
3 oz. of additional cheese
2 tbsps. minced fresh parsley or basil (thyme would be good, too)

Recipe:
Turn on your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Chop your filling ingredients and saute them with the garlic and oil in a 10 inch skillet on medium heat until tender. If you are using a filling like potatoes, put the potatoes in first with a few tablespoons of water. Then cover and steam for a few minutes before uncovering and adding the rest of the filling ingredients.

While the filling ingredients are sauteing, mix your eggs, Parmesan, herb, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

When the filling ingredients are soft, shake the pan to distribute the ingredients, pour on the egg mixture and let it set for about one minute.

When the edges of the eggs have set, move the skillet into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
When the frittata is fluffy but set, slide it onto a plate, cut into wedges and serve.

My notes: I used 3 new potatoes diced, 1/2 red bell pepper chopped, 1/4 cup Spanish olives chopped and 3 ounces Gruyere cheese as my filling ingredients. Excellent combination.

P.S. If you make this with different ingredients please report back and let me know how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment