Sunday, December 7, 2008

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE

This recipe comes from Pinch My Salt . I had all the ingredients and wanted the smell of pumpkin in my house for one more day. And I haven't used my Bundt pan in a long time so this was a good excuse. Bundt pans make the prettiest cakes and they always slice so neatly. A big plus when you are giving it away to others.

You could glaze this cake but I really like it with a dusting of powdered sugar. A sprinkling makes desserts look so festive.

PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a Bundt pan (or even better, use Baker’s Joy spray).
2. In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine eggs, sour cream, pumpkin, and oil. Beat well with a hand mixer (or use a stand mixer), scraping down sides with a spatula, until everything is well blended. Add flour mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until everything is well combined. Scrape down sides, then blend in the vanilla extract.
4. Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake in the center of a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack for ten minutes, then invert cake onto wire rack and let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately before serving if desired.
Yield: 10-12 servings
Recipe Notes: *Pumpkin pie spice can be substituted with 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or make your own combination). Make sure to butter your Bundt pan really well and get into all the crevices. I like to use a spray like Baker’s Joy because I’ve never had a problem with cakes sticking to the pan when I use it.

Note: I, Kim, have not used Baker's Joy--the above note is from Pinch My Salt.

3 comments:

  1. Kim!

    This was the best little treat! I must say I love the dusting too! You have such a way with words!
    Thanks again for shainrg!
    have a great day!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Utah? We missed your little face today!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, just at a baby blessing! Have fun at Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete