Sunday, January 4, 2009

MY FAVORITE OATMEAL



I love steel cut oats also known as Irish, Scottish, or Pinhead oats. There is more substance to these oats than regular oats, a more nuttier taste. Since these oats need to be cooked longer than regular oats, I cook a batch of oatmeal and put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and dip into it for breakfast--this recipe makes 3-4 servings.

Boil four cups of water, add one cup of steel cut oats, stir and boil for around 10 minutes. Then let simmer for 10-20 minutes. If you like a nuttier texture you might want to reduce the total cooking time to 20 minutes. My friend Pam loves her oatmeal practically crunchy so she cooks hers for less time. Refrigerate in an airtight container.

To serve I put a scoopful in a bowl with around a tablespoon of water and heat for 30-45 seconds. Add sliced banana and a bit of brown sugar for a lovely treat on a cold morning.

1 comment:

  1. This morning I added vanilla soy milk to my oatmeal--excellent!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete